Next weekend BF and I will have been dating 6 months. It has flown by, and really it is surprising that it has been that long. To say that it has been easy is an understatement. Fun, easy, so and enjoyable it has been.
A long time ago, a friend used to use an analogy that finding a partner, specifically a man that was ready to commit, was like finding a taxi. You see a lot of taxis, with their lights turned off taking someone else for a ride. You wait a while until you see one with the light on, and you flag them down. She believed that men are like taxis with their lights off, until they decide they are ready for a partner-then bam! their light goes on and the next passenger for a ride is now their partner. I used to believe this.
I am not so sure I believe this any more. I began dating someone whose light was not on, and neither was mine. I decided nothing, I was looking for nothing. I did not even want a ride on any taxis, I was doing fine walking thank you. I have known BF for over 12 years, and did not think of him in "that way." Flash forward nearly 6 months, and we are taking an incredible ride together through our little city.
Funny-for the first time in my life I had the "lets take it a day at a time" talk when we started dating. We still are taking it a day at a time. We see each other on the weekends and make time for us and our relationship. We talk nearly every day on the phone.
When I come home, I know someone is there for me. I know he is in my heart as I am a mom and a employee and mangaging my day to day life. It feels good. At times I imaginine how my life would change if our relationship moved forward-and it makes me feel overwhelmed. I just could not imagine it logistically. The thing is, my taxi light is on for a relationship, as is his, but not for the next step. This magical, powerful process of taking it a day at a time, for being able to see how the relationship progresses slowly, without any forcing of a ride, has taken over.
A pleasure ride through the city it has been.
No comments:
Post a Comment