I did the same thing with my neices and nephews when I babysat, and when I was a pre-school teacher. When later I interned as a school counselor and was spending time playing with the kids while we got aquainted, their drawings often spoke volumes about how things were going for them.
Drawing with a child, then asking them what they drew, is one of the things I have looked forward to doing with my own child.
I have had glimpses of this with Aidan, for brief moments with certain pictures. Tonight I was in heaven. Aidan started to draw me. For the first time he drew some attributes that make me me: my glasses, the diamond stud earrings I never take off, and the rings on my fingers. He drew himself as a baby, a table for me to change his diaper, his drinking bottle, and a very large "facipier" (which initially looked like a boob) He drew us surrounded by a large circle that was our house.
The part that made me smile even more:
He drew a car driving to *his* doctors office, and a circle for the office, far away. When I ask
ed him which doctor that was, he said matter of factly "Dr. Dourron."
The doctor that created him, quite literally, in a petri dish on July 24, 2004.
I finally have my child, drawing pictures of me, of us, our house, and our family, along with the doctor that made it happen. Truly miraculous it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment