I wish I could say I was having dreams about a wild vacation or a really great romp in the hay.
I am not.
I have this reoccurring dream that Aidan is lost, or gone.
I once dreamt that he was taken from me. I was watching television later in my dream and there he was frolicking in the waves, the only blonde child playing with many dark haired children, somewhere in the Middle East. In my dream I leapt to the TV screaming "OMG that is him!!! My baby! OMG Aidan!"
I have been having these dreams since I was pregnant.
I have them a lot.
They scare me.
They make me really upset.
They make me want to grab my sweet Aidan and never leave the house.
Alas, I cannot.
Last night I had a dream that I was cleaning the house, and he was gone. I screamed and called and was completely and utterly hysterical at my helplessness. I chided myself for cleaning and not watching him more closely. I woke up soon thereafter.
These dreams haunt me, and make me feel so vulnerable and sad.
I do not know why I keep having them.
What are they trying to tell me?
Perhaps that my boy is growing up, and sooner rather than later he will be on his own and I will have *lost* him somehow. I will want to scream and cry and hold him and never leave the house, but someday he will leave my home on his own volition and I will have to trust that like waking from a nightmare and realizing it was not real-he will still be there. Just far away.
I thought of this as I listened to a coworker who just returned from sending her only child and son to college. She said sadly-"I just thought we would communicate more...I mean I do not ask for much, just a text or an email every few days so I know he is okay." I could feel her pain so acutely, the pain of seeing your little one gone, him not in your home, and the panic you feel that they may never return.
Perhaps these dreams are preparing me for the inevitable.
1 comment:
Ahhhh yes. I know this dream. I think it must come with motherhood.
Post a Comment