Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My first baby


Rigley.
He turned 9 two days before Aidan was born. Rigley was my baby long before Aidan came to be. Riggs and I hiked, rock climbed, went to the dog park, dog beach, pretty much everywhere.

Aidan's birth has drastically altered this poor dog's life. How can you do many of the above activities with a child in tow? Yah, you can take walks but that is pretty much it.

Dog beach: Kiddo can get bitten or knocked over.
Dog park: Dog has gotten beaten up from so many other dogs in previous visits that even HE does not like going any more.
Hiking? Maybe now that Aidan is older.
Rock Climbing? Who the hell would I go with? Everyone I used to rock climb with is married with children. All of us consider this activity something we did in a previous lifetime. 

Rigley's current life consists of getting tortured by Aidan, who realized pretty quickly that he hates to be chased by vacuums, mechanical cars, water spray-so Aidan does this constantly while he laughs hysterically. 

Now one positive in Riggs doggy life:
All the dropped food. I am sure he loves this part. Riggs is like a hawk when Aidan is eating. Periodically he will also lap up other disgusting treats: urine, vomit, and the occasional turd. I hope this makes up for the yelling I often do when I accidentally step or trip over him as he blocks the entrance yet again into the kitchen or bathroom. Ugh.

I love this poor dog, I just wonder if he likes his life any more. 

No comments: