Flew to Nebraska on Friday.
Met Kevin there, along with most of his huge extended family. From the airport we drove straight to his sister and BIL's house for a family BBQ. We played lawn darts, hung out with family, and I ate my first venison burger, which was proudly hunted by Kevin's brother Ross. (And it was yummy!)
Nebraska was hot, muggy, slow, and really really green. The locusts hang out on the top of maple trees and sing to you loudly. People take their time there-they let you pass on the left, and give you a wide girth when you drive. At the airport when I got into the pick-up tuck and commented on the music-Kevin's brother Al responded "there are two kinds of music in Nebraska, country and western."
It felt very appropriate to the situation. I liked it.
We looked at the sights, and Saturday night we went to a Jackson Browne concert, which was one of the reasons we were there. Our friend Mauricio is the drummer, and he completely blew us away with his talent. Sorry Jackson, but the six of us could not take our eyes off you. It was fabulous. We talked to Mauricio after the concert, and left after a few minutes without meeting Jackson. (and that was okay)
I saw the the home of my dear Kevin when he was growing up. The first home he bought, his parents homes, and his father's home now. His elementary and high school, and the forest tree Kevin built a treehouse in when he was a kid. We laughed at the patch of forest he caught on fire by accident, and the "crick" that no longer exsists, but which Kevin spent his summer days floating down. I loved the stories, and just loved the moment.
We went to a farm and bought corn on the cob that was picked that morning. It was the most delicious corn I have ever eaten. I had two butter laden cobbs. Before that tried fried chicken gizzards and chicken. Gizzards, gross. Fried chicken? the best I have ever had. Home grown tomatoes for dinner, and home grown peaches for dessert.
As we sat with Kevin and his family, I realized that I was so relaxed, something that Kevin had pointed out to me the day before. I was happy, so happy to be a part of this family that is so much like my own. So happy to be at ease with a family I am just getting to know.
I like it,
and them.
Happy.
2 comments:
I soooooo miss the mid-west during summer! I don't miss the muggy hot days/nights, but I miss the home grown food!! OMG! Corn on the cob anywhere but the midwest is a shame.
Sounds like you had a great time!
That sounds absolutely wonderful!
Post a Comment