I found a couple of size 5T's, and as I held them up, I realized that they looked too small to fit my rapidly growing boy. It was then that I had the realization: This was it! 5T was too small?
That meant that Aidan was now in the "boys" section, too big for the infant/toddler clothes. I remembered the jeans that I bought him at Old Navy two days before, size 5T as well. My mind (and emotions) started spinning as I was slapped in the face with the realization that my sweet little baby/toddler was now a "boy" and I had the cart with me to have to aim at the big boy section.
I walked over there and lo and behold, there was the identical $2.98 sweatshirts, size "extra small" which I held up and knew instantly that it would fit my son perfectly. I got a bit wistful moving the cart over the isle to the new section, and said to Aidan as I got verklempt and almost started to cry "Aidan, you are just getting so big, look, you are in the big boy sizes now." He started to cry because I was upset. I told him "oh honey! mommy is so proud of the big boy you are becoming! I am so happy, that is why I am crying!"
Flash forward to Monday morning, (today). Aidan woke up at 5:45a.m. telling me proudly: "I am ready to go to school!"
Today was the first day my big boy was in his new class at preschool, the Rainbows, or the Pre-K class. One more class after this and Aidan will be in Kindergarten. This time next year I will be attending orientations and signing him up for the school of my choice.
Aidan went to school today in his 5T jeans, his big boy sweatshirt from the boys section, and his new tennies, which even his teacher remarked when i picked him up looked like such "big boy shoes" they were so big. She told him this. I am sure he beamed.
My boy is growing up. I am such a wistful and teary mess. I am also so proud and happy to be his mom. (and I told him that this morning)


My little guy.
2 comments:
Thank you! I so needed this today. Just dropped DS off for his first day at preschool and am feeling so, so sad that my baby is growing up! Made me feel like I'm not so crazy for losing it last night and once I got home to my empty house just now!
I have such a hard time cleaning out Jellybean's closet, because every time I do I have to acknowledge that I am packing away more 'baby' stuff and pulling out bigger and bigger sizes. It's very bittersweet and hard to explain to non-parents what it feels like - the sorrow that you are losing your first and possibly only baby, yet the joy that he/she is growing into such a neat person.
Post a Comment