It has been incredibly hot here in So Cali. Terrible heat wave, with some humidity too. I am ready for the fall, but this time of year, when all the wildfires erupt-it is always the hottest.
Today it was cooler than the past week or so. It was 85 instead of 95. Aidan and I went outside to wash Rigley, our pooch. Of course Aidan cannot be outside with the hose without disrobing, so in five seconds flat he had stripped to his birthday suit and had decided to wash his Mercedes.
I sat under the umbrella watching him rinse and as he stood on the front seat of his favorite ride-on car, he took the hose and had the water pouring down the top of his head. I could hear him gasp with the cool temperature of the water, yet he kept it there and laughed out loud. The joy in this moment made me smile. Finally after watching for awhile, I realized I wanted to try it too. I was tired of sitting back and watching the joy, I wanted to be a part of it.
I stood up, asked Aidan for the hose and he sprayed it all over me. I screamed, he laughed. I asked again, and again he sprayed. It felt so good. He finally parted with the hose and I asked him, "okay Aidan, what am I supposed to do?" and he instructed me on how to put the hose exactly on the top of my head. When I got it up there, and drew in my breath with the coldness of the water, Aidan laughed and laughed. I screamed. God did it feel good. I kept the hose there, for a lot longer than I thought I was going to. The cold water was exactly what I needed.
What really needed was a moment with my son, in my back yard at home. I needed to regoup, to not be in the busy, going-going-going pace I am usually in during the week. It was blissful.
A relief from the heat, and a replenishment of the soul.
I needed that.
No comments:
Post a Comment