Today I was supposed to go to the 5 year birthday party for my friend Sandra's daughter. Casey's party was at one of those cool kid places, which would have been great if I did not think it was from 1 to 3, not 9 to 11 this morning. We missed it, while I was busy grading papers.
Sandra and I planned to meet later to get the kids together anyway. On the way there, I realized that I had forgotten to get my two front tires replaced, and my slowly leaking front tire was nearly flat. I pumped it up, and on the way asked if her husband Sean could meet me at Costco so I could use their membership for tires.
I drove to Costco, and as Sean walked towards me, he wispered
"Now, remember, you are my wife right now, we are married. (so I could use his Costco card)
As Sean discussed the needs of my car, I heard myself refer to myself in the singular a couple of times. Sean immediately picked up on it, and changed my I, to to the plural. "yes, WE need_____ for OUR car."
He must have caught me referring to I, at least 3 or 4 times in maybe 5 minutes. Later I kidded him that for me, never being married/living with someone means using WE was just so foreign to me.
Made me think.
No comments:
Post a Comment