Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bad Mommy

Valentine's day.
Aidan came home with a bag full of kiddie valentines and loads of candy. I gave in, and he ate candy that night, and again the next morning.
Bad mommy? Ah, probably so. I just figured it would be better for him to eat the crap over 2 days rather than spreading it out over a week or so.

When I had my cleaning frenzy the next day, I dumped out said kiddie valentines into the trash. I figured that without the candy they would not be as important.
That afternoon, I heard Aidan from the kitchen:
"Mommy!!! come here!
me: "what honey?"
"Mommy! come here!"
I obey..
I enter the kitchen and see him standing next to the open trashcan, looking very distressed.
"mommy! L-O-O-O-K!!" .....he gestures emotionally towards the contents, and I peer down and see them.
There they were. The valentines I thought Aidan would not care about, right next to the coffee grinds and used paper plates.
He looked at me, a combination of crestfallen and exasperated and exclaimed:
"mommy! you threw away my valentines!!! Why did you DO that?"
I did what every red blooded mommy does in times like this: I lied.
me: "oh my gosh honey! I am so sorry! I was cleaning and I was not paying attention..here, lets just take them out of the trash and you can have them back okay?"
This worked I thought.

Until he went into his room a few minutes later and drew a picture of a face with a frown. He informed me that this was mommy, so sad that she threw away his valentines. Here it is:

I apologized again, and giggled a little at my mistake when he left the room.
My sister told me that next time I discard stuff like that to put it into the big trash cans outside. She thought the story was hilarious.
Ahh, the big trash cans...I did not think of that.

No comments: